Thursday 16 August 2012

Women's Health Illos!




Here's some new illos that hit the newsstands  a little while ago for Women's Health UK. This rather cool job came courtesy of the acting AD of the mag Will Fox, who was on caretaker duties for the title.

Having received a copy of Kaleidoscope through the post, he took a shine to my Kama Sutra illos and thought that something along those lines would be suitable for a sex feature they had in the mag, concept was a great one, can you draw these six celebrities; Russell Brand, Rob Pattison, Frankie Cocozza, Alex Reid, Ashton Kutcher and Mark Zuckerberg as dolls in packaging.

I was supplied with a list of quotes and headlines to fit on the boxes, the second set of illos would show the dolls looking like they've been..er..overplayed with shall we say.

Absolutely brilliant idea for a set of images, and I was on familiar ground with the half-naked celebs, to top it off Will was a real pleasure to work with.

I should point out not all was plain sailing though, I soon realized I was going to have to put my design hat on, and work out how each box was going to represent the character of the celeb, to say nothing of all that dreaded typography... which always gives me a headache.

The pluses on this was a long deadline, and a superb AD nudging me along in the right direction, also finally got to do more work for a women's title, something i've been lacking these past few years, I suppose my work has had a tendency to be very masculine of recent times, so always nice to do something different, and for such a great mag too.





Above is the artwork in context, I think they looked really all big on the page, it was a really great job to be onboard for, and i'd love a relationship with the title to match the one i've had with it's big brother Men's Health, who I must have done over 50 drawings for over the years.

The bottom pic is of yours truly for the contributors section of the title, I was honored to be asked.. it's something i've done this a few times before for titles like Men's Health & Mojo, i'd like to think that sales may have gone up with the introduction of my illos... this will no doubt be counterbalanced by the fall in sales after people have seen my mug in the magazine.. these things balance themselves out.

If you can't be bother to click the pic above to see what it says, here you go: 'Portraying celebrities in compromising positions is a bit of a speciality for Bill', well ain't that the truth.. it goes on "Drawing Frankie Cocozza with bum-flashing action was a dream job!", well ain't that.. hang on what?! I can't remember saying that... i've been misquoted there surely?!

If you haven't picked up the magazine yet, all i'm saying is this; it's got Mollie from girlband The Saturday's on the front, which seems enough reason to me for anyone to buy the title.


No comments:

Post a Comment